Place:


Ince Blundell  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ince Blundell like this:

INCE-BLUNDELL, a village and a township in Sefton parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the river Alt and the Liverpool and Southport railway, 9 miles NNW of Liverpool; and has a very ancient cross, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The township comprises 2, 258 acres. Real property, £5, 022. ...


Pop., 572. Houses, 91. Most of the land belongs to Thomas W. Blundell, Esq., and part to the Earl of Sefton. InceBlundell Hall, the seat of Mr. Blundell, is a splendid mansion, in a beautiful park; and has attached to it a building modelled exactly after the Pantheon at Rome, but one-third less in size, and containing a rich collection of statuary, paintings, sarcophagi, vases, bronzes, and other objects of intereST.

Ince Blundell through time

Ince Blundell is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ince Blundell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ince Blundell, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10556

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ince Blundell ".