Place:


Coberley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coberley like this:

CUBBERLEY, or Coberley, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, at the sources of the river Churn, 4½ miles S by E of Cheltenham town and r. station. Post town, Colesborne, under Cheltenham. Acres, 3, 421. Real property, £3, 063. Pop., 343. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £320.* Patron, Henry Elwes, Esq. The church was built in 1330 by the Berkeleys, then the lords of the manor; and is tolerable. There is a Baptist chapel.

Coberley through time

Coberley is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coberley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coberley, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10549

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coberley ".