Place:


Wrockwardine Wood  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrockwardine Wood like this:

WROCKWARDINE-WOOD, a township in Wrock-wardine parish, and a chapelry partly also in Eyton-upon-the-Wild-Moors parish, Salop. The township lies 1 mile N of Oakengates r. station, and 3½ E of Wellington; and has a post-office under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 502. Pop. in 1851, 2,099; in 1861, 3,317. ...


Houses, 616. The increase of pop. arose partly from the erection of new workshops and forges for the manufacture of bar-iron, and partly from facilities afforded for purchasing land for building-purposes.—The chapelry was constituted in 1834. Pop. in 1861,3,637. Houses, 682. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £194.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Wrockwardine Wood through time

Wrockwardine Wood is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrockwardine Wood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrockwardine Wood, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10542

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrockwardine Wood ".