Place:


Wrockwardine  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrockwardine like this:

WROCKWARDINE, a village and a parish in Wellington district, Salop. The village stands ½ mile SSW of Admaston r. station, and 2 W by N of Wellington; and has a post-office under Wellington, Salop. The parish includes nine townships, and comprises 4,608 acres. Real property, £16,324; of which £1,000 are in mines, and £2,307 in iron-works. ...


Pop. in 1851, 3,107; in 1861, 4,365. Houses, 827. The greater part of the pop. is in W.-Wood, noticed in next article. The property is much subdivided. A mineral spring, with hoteland baths, is in Admaston. Glass manufacture is carried on at W.-Wood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £365.* Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church was recently restored. There are national schools, alms houses, and some general charities.

Wrockwardine through time

Wrockwardine is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrockwardine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrockwardine, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10541

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrockwardine ".