Place:


Worfield  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worfield like this:

WORFIELD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands 3¼ miles NE of Bridgnorth r. station, and has a post-office under Bridgnorth. The parish contains 34 townships, and comprises 10,320 acres. Real property, £19,549. Pop., 1,785. Houses, 381. ...


W. manor belongs to T.Whitmore, Esq.; and Wyken manor, to W. S. Davenport, Esq. A bone cave was discovered in 1809 at Burcott. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £205. Patron, W. S. Davenport, Esq. The church was recently restored. There are endowed schools and charities £101.—The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 27,925. Pop., 4,955. Houses, 1,043.

Worfield through time

Worfield is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Worfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worfield, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10540

Date accessed: 21st April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Worfield ".