Place:


Wistanstow  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wistanstow like this:

WISTANSTOW, a parish, with a village and eight townships, in Church-Stretton district, Salop; on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile N of Craven-Arms-Junction r. station, and 5¾ S by W of Church-Stretton. It has a post-office, designated Wistanstow, Shropshire. Acres, 5,160. ...


Real property, £3,809. Pop., 1,121. Houses, 230. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, with Cwm-Head chapelry, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £870.* Patron, the Rev. E.Swainson. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £15.

Wistanstow through time

Wistanstow is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wistanstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wistanstow in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10531

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wistanstow ".