In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westbury like this:
WESTBURY, a township and a parish in Atcham district, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury and Welshpool railway, 11½ miles W by S of Shrewsbury; contains a village of its own name; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury, and a r. station. Real property, £6,174; of which £200 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,497; in 1861, 1,655. Houses, 298. The property is not much divided. The parish includes Minsterley chapelry, and forms a sub-district. Acres, 11,274. Rated property in 1869, £16,158. Pop., 2,545. Houses, 476. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £766. Patron, R. Cholmondeley, Esq. The church is good. The p. curacy of Minsterley is a separate benefice. There are dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £44.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Westbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Shrewsbury and Atcham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Westbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westbury, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Westbury".