Place:


Stokesay  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stokesay like this:

STOKESAY, a parish, with four townships and a part, in Ludlow district, Salop; on the river Onny, and on the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 1¼ mile S by E of Craven-Arms r. station, and 7 NW of Ludlow. Post town, Cravens-Arms, Shropshire. Acres, 3,567. Real property, £4,184. Pop., 559. Houses, 109. The manor belongs to Earl Craven. S. Castle is a min; and Norton is a Saxon camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £351. Patron, the Rev. J. G. D. La Touche. There is a slightly endowed school.

Stokesay through time

Stokesay is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stokesay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stokesay in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10500

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stokesay ".