Place:


Radstock  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Radstock like this:

RADSTOCK, a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands on the Fosse way, on a small affluent of the river Avon, at a meeting-point of railways forming in 1868 from Frome, Bath, and Keynsham, 7 miles N W of Frome; takes its name from redsandstone lying below and around it; is the centre of anextensive coal-field; was connected, by mineral railway, with the canal near Mitford, and with the Great Western railway at Frome; and has a post-office‡ under Bath. ...


The parish comprises 1,005 acres. Real property, £14, 548; of which £9, 202 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 792; in 1861, 2, 227. Houses, 413. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Countess of Waldegrave. Round Hill barrow is near the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £270.* Patron, the Countess of Waldegrave. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, withporch and tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and a national school.

Radstock through time

Radstock is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Radstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Radstock in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1049

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Radstock ".