Place:


Chedworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chedworth like this:

CHEDWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Northleach district, Gloucester. The village stands near the river Churn, 4½ miles SW of Northleach, and 6¾ N of Cirencester r. station; has a post office under Cheltenham; and gave the title of Baron to the family of Howe. The parish comprises 4, 589 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 604. Pop., 954. Houses, 220. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land is occupied by Chedworth wood. A barrow occurs on high ground; and a Roman bath was discovered in 1760. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £302.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church has a fine sculptured stone pulpit; and is good. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £41.—The sub-district contains sixteen parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 36, 449. Pop., 5, 253. Houses, 1, 127.

Chedworth through time

Chedworth is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chedworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chedworth, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10489

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chedworth ".