Place:


South Cerney  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Cerney like this:

CERNEY (South), a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, and near the Cheltenham and Western Union railway, 4 miles SSE of Cirencester. It has a post office under Cirencester. Acres, 3,100. Real property, £6,364. Pop., 1,006. Houses, 247. The property is much subdivided. ...


The living is a vicarage united with the p. curacy of Cerney-Wick, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £231. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church ranges from transition Norman to decorated English, and was partly rebuilt in 1862. There are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, a national school, an asylum-college on a bequest of £11,000 in 1834 for widows and orphans of poor clergymen, and other charities £70.

South Cerney through time

South Cerney is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Cerney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Cerney, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10482

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Cerney ".