Place:


Stourport on Severn  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stourport on Severn like this:

STOURPORT, a small town in Lower Mitton chapelry, Worcester; at the confluence of the rivers Stour and Severn, at the terminus of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal, and on the Severn Valley railway, 4 miles SSW of Kidderminster. It originated in 1770; presents a neat and clean appearance; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling place; and has a head post-office,‡ a r. ...


station, a banking office, a town hall improved in 1866, a police station, an iron bridge 150 feet in span, a church, two dissenting chapels, a literary and scientific institution, and two national schools. Markets are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays; fairs are held on the first Tuesday of April, July, and Oct.; a considerable transit traffic is carried on; and there are a very large tannery, an iron foundry, and establishments for worsted-spinning, carpet-weaving, vinegar -making, and malting. See Mitton (Lower).

Stourport on Severn through time

Stourport on Severn is now part of Wyre Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stourport on Severn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stourport on Severn, in Wyre Forest and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1048

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stourport on Severn ".