Place:


Prees  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prees like this:

PREES, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wem district, Salop. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, and 4¼ N E by N of Wem; has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Shrewsbury, and fairs on the second Monday of Apriland Oct.; and had formerly a market. ...


The parish contains also the townships of Darliston, Fauls, Mickley, Millenheath, Willaston, Calverhall, Whixhall, Sand ford, and Steel. Acres, 14, 461. Real property, £20,065; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 196; in 1861, 3,097. Houses, 661. The property is subdivided. P. Hall belongs to Viscount Hill, and was the birth-place of the first Viscount. Calverhall is the seat of J. P. Heywood, Esq ' The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £571.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, was partly restored in 1864, and contains monuments of the Hills. The p. curacies of Fauls, Calverhall, and Whixhall areseparate benefices. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, a public school, and charities £93.—The sub-district contains also part of Hodnet parish. Acres, 16, 650. Pop., 3, 362. Houses, 715.

Prees through time

Prees is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prees itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prees in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10455

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prees ".