Place:


Garforth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garforth like this:

GARFORTH, a parish in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Selby railway, and on a Roman road, 6½ miles E of Leeds. It includes West Garforth, Church-Garforth, and Moor-Garforth; and has a station on the railway, and a post office† under Leeds, both of the name of Garforth. Acres, 1, 700. Real property, £2, 942. Pop., 1, 504. Houses, 311. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £514.* Patron, the Rev. Mr. Whitaker. The church is very good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Garforth through time

Garforth is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garforth, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1045

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garforth ".