Place:


Norbury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norbury like this:

NORBURY, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Clun district, Salop. The township lies 2½ miles W of the Long-Mynd, 2½ E of the boundary with Wales, and 4¼ N E of Bishops-Castle r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Asterton, Whitcott, and Hardwick; and its post town is Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. ...


Acres, 4, 584. Rated property, £2, 570. Pop., 412. Houses, 81. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of North Lydbury, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is ancient; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 21, 282. Pop., 1, 636. Houses, 316.

Norbury through time

Norbury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norbury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10446

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norbury ".