Place:


Moreton Say  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moreton Say like this:

MORETON-SAY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on a small affluent of the river Tern, 2 miles SSW of the boundary with Cheshire, 2½ WNW of the boundary with Stafford, and 3 W of Market-Drayton r. station. The parish contains also the townships of Bletchley, Longford, and Styche; and its Post town is Market-Drayton Acres, 4,804. ...


Real property, £6,851. Pop., 679. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. Corbet and W. Tayleur, Esqs. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. Patron, the Rector of Hodnet. The church is of the 14th century; was cased with brick in 1788; has a tower; and contains memorials of the distinguished Lord Clive, who was interred here, and monuments to the Clive family and to the Vernons. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £20.—The sub-district contain s also two other parishes and a chapelry electorally in Salop, a parish and five townships electorally in Stafford, and a township electorally in Cheshire. Acres, 21,490. Pop., 3,923. Houses, 815.

Moreton Say through time

Moreton Say is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moreton Say itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moreton Say in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10426

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moreton Say ".