Place:


Mainstone  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mainstone like this:

MAINSTONE, a parish in Clun district, and mainly in Salop, but partly in Montgomery; and a division in Clun hundred, and wholly in Salop. The parish lies on Offa's dyke, 4 miles W by. S of Bishops-Castle r. station, and 7½ SSE of Montgomery; and comprises the townships of Mainstone, Edenhope, Knuck, and Reilth in Salop, and the township of Castle-Wright in Montgomery. ...


Post town, Bishops-Castle, Shropshire. Acres of the Salop portion, 4,931. Real property, £9,925. Pop., 220. Houses, 41. Acres of the Montgomery portion, 1,332. Real property, with Aston, £2,228. Pop., 145. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Valne, £293. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a good building, with a belfry. Charities, £5.-The division contains the Salop portion of the parish, and all of three other parishes. Acres, 21,315. Pop. in 1851, 1,318. Houses, 238.

Mainstone through time

Mainstone is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mainstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mainstone in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10417

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mainstone ".