Place:


Loppington  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Loppington like this:

LOPPINGTON, a village and a parish in Wem district, Salop. The village stands 3 miles W by N of Wem r. station, and has a post office under Wem. The parish contains the townships of Nonely and Burlton; the latter of which has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 3,414. Real property, £6,192. ...


Pop., 575. Houses, 118. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Cleveland. Loppington House is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £215.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and contains some brasses; and was the scene of a conflict between the royalists and parliamentarians, when part of its N wall was demolished. There are a mixed national school and some charities.

Loppington through time

Loppington is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Loppington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Loppington in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10412

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Loppington ".