Place:


Longford  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longford like this:

LONGFORD, a parish in Newport district, Salop; on a branch of the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 1¾ mile W of Newport r. station. It includes the townships of Brockton and Stockton. Post town, Newport, Salop. Acres, 1,306. Real property, £2,478. Pop., 214. Houses, 36. The manor, with Longford Hall, belongs to R. ...


N. Leeke, Esq. A Roman settlement was here. The parish is a meet for the Hoar Cross hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £415.* Patron, R. N. Leeke, Esq. The church is modern, and has a tower; and part of the previous church adjoins it, and contains monuments of the Talbots.

Longford through time

Longford is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longford, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10410

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longford ".