In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willesden like this:
WILLESDEN, or Wilsdon, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Hendon district, Middlesex. The village stands 1½ mile N by W of Willesden-Junction r. station, and 7½ WNW of St. Paul's, London; and has a post-office‡ under London NW, a police station, and fairs on Holy Thursday and St. James' day. The parish includes W.-Green, Dollis-Hill, Sherrick-Green Neasdon, and Harlesden hamlets, Brondesbury domain, and parts of Kilburn and Kensal-Green villages. Acres, 4,190. ...
Real property, £28,401. Pop. in 1851, 2,939; in 1861, 3,879. Houses, 642. Pop. in 1869, about 15,000. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King Athelstan to St. Paul's, London; and was known, at Domesday, as Willesdone. W. House, Brondesbury Park, Neasdon House, Dollis Hill, Harlesden House, Heathfield, Mapesbury House, Bramshill Lodge, Glyn-field House, and the Rookery are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £320.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is later English. The rectory of Brandesbury and two p. curacies of Kilburn are separate benefices. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £27.The sub-district consists of W. parish and Twyford-Abbey extra-parochial tract.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Willesden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Brent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Willesden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willesden, in Brent and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Willesden".