Place:


Bitton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bitton like this:

BITTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Keynsham, and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the confluence of the Boyd and the Avon, adjacent to the Julian way, 2 miles NE of Keynsham r. station, and 6 SE of Bristol; and it has a post office under Bristol.—The parish includes also Hanham chapelry and Oldland hamlet, with Kingswood village. ...


Acres, 7,156. Real property, £28,319; of which £1,594 are in mines. Pop., 9,630. Houses, 2,032. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron ore are worked; and the workers at them, in last century, were noted for vicious character, and for reclamation by the preaching of Wesley and his associates. Traces of many Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £390.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is partly Norman, partly perpendicular English; and has a good tower. The vicarages of Hanham, Oldland, and Kingswood are separate benefices. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, and charities £26.-The subdistrict comprises three parishes. Acres, 8,267. Pop., 5,071. Houses, 1,063.

Bitton through time

Bitton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bitton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10395

Date accessed: 27th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bitton ".