In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haverhill like this:
HAVERHILL, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Risbridge district, Suffolk and Essex. The town stands on a head stream of the river Stour, and on the Colne Valley and Cambridge railway, 1¾ mile E of the boundary with Cambridgeshire, and 13¼ NW of Halstead; consists chiefly of one street, nearly a mile loug, partly in Suffolk, partly in Essex; was once a more important place than now, and had a castle of the Greys of Codnor; suffered much injury by fire in 1665; has acquired benefit from the opening to it of railway communication; and has a post office‡ under Newmarket, two banking offices, a chief inn, a corn exchange, a church, four dissenting chapels, and both national and British schools. ...
The church is ancient, with a tower; and contains a few old monuments. Fifty gold coins, supposed to be of Boadicea, queen of the Iceni, were found in 1785. A weekly market is held on Friday; a fair is held on 12 and 13 May; and brewing, malting, straw plaiting, and the manufacture of drabbets and umbrella silks are carried on.The parish comprises 2, 549 acres. Real property, £7, 493. Pop., 2, 434. Houses, 506. Pop. of the Suffolk portion, 2, 173. Houses, 454. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £220. Patron, Sir G. H. W. Beaumont, Bart. Ward, who attended the Synod of Dort, was a native.The sub-district contains nine parishes, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 18, 289. Pop., 7, 328. Houses, 1, 484.
Haverhill is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haverhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haverhill, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haverhill ".