Place:


Great Barrington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Barrington like this:

BARRINGTON (Great), a parish in the district of Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 3½ miles NW of Burford, and 7 SW of Shipton r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Barrington, under Faringdon. Acres, 2,983. Real property, £3,517. Pop., 496. Houses, 107. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, prior to the Conquest, to Earl Harold; and belongs now to Lord Dynevor. The present mansion on it is an elegant modern edifice, within a park about 3 miles in circuit; and a previous mansion was built in 1734 by Lord Chancellor Talbot, and soon afterwards destroyed by fire. Quarries of excellent freestone are worked; and supplied the material for Blenheim House and for the restoration of Westminster Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £221. Patron, Lord Dynevor. The church is a handsome building, with pinnacled tower; was erected in the time of Henry VII.; and has monuments of Captain Edward Bray and Lord Chancellor Talbot. Charities, £17.

Great Barrington through time

Great Barrington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Barrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Barrington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10360

Date accessed: 20th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Barrington ".