Place:


Much Hoole  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Much Hoole like this:

HOOLE, a village, two townships, and a parish in Preston district, Lancashire. The village is Much Hoole; stands near the river Douglas, 2¾ miles NW of Croston r. station, and 7 SW of Preston; and has a post office under Preston.-The townships are Much Hoole and Little Hoole; the latter N of the former, and on the estnary of the Ribble. ...


Acres of Much Hoole, 1, 701. Real property, £3, 511. Pop., 708. Houses, 136. The chief landowners are Lord Lilford and the Marquis de Rothwell. Acres of Little Hoole, 1, 222; of which 70 are water. Real property, £2, 533. Pop., 424. Houses, 72. A large cotton factory is here.—The parish consists of the two townships. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £280. Patron, T. B. Addison, Esq. The church was originally a chapel of ease to Croston; is a plain edifice, with a low tower; and was enlarged in 1864. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and some small charities.

Much Hoole through time

Much Hoole is now part of South Ribble district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Ribble has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Much Hoole itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Much Hoole, in South Ribble and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10348

Date accessed: 16th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Much Hoole ".