Place:


Upper Holker  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Holker like this:

HOLKER (UPPER), a township in Cartmel parish, Lancashire; containing the chief part of Cartmel town; containing also Beckside hamlet; and extending northward to the river Leven. Acres, 6, 550. Real property, £5, 726; of which £65 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 134; in 1861, 1, 035. ...


Houses, 199. The decrease of pop. was caused by diminished employment in a reconstructed cotton mill, which required fewer hands than a previous one destroyed by fire. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Gunpowder mills are at Low Wood. A charitable fund in this township arose from the purchase of five acres of land with 185½ guineas, found in the pocket of a travelling beggar, who died in a lodging house here in 1799.

Upper Holker through time

Upper Holker is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Holker itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Holker, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10345

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Holker ".