Place:


Arlingham  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arlingham like this:

ARLINGHAM, a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester: on the left side of the Severn, within a fold of that river, nearly opposite Newnham r. station, and 8 miles WNW of Stonehouse. It has a post office under Stonehouse. Acres, 3,225,-of which 835 are water. Real property, £5,333. Pop., 693. ...


Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land is marshy. Some spots command a fine view of the Severn and its screens. A chief residence is Arlingham Court. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £193.* Patron, John Sayer, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £80.

Arlingham through time

Arlingham is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arlingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arlingham, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10327

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arlingham ".