Place:


Hampton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hampton like this:

HAMPTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the district of Kingston and county of Middlesex. The village stands on the river Thames, near the Thames Valley railway, 2 miles W of Kingston-on-Thames; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under London S.W. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hampton-Wick and the village of New Hampton. ...


Acres, 3, 190. Real property, exclusive of Hampton-Wick, £14, 445, -of which £300 are in gas works; inclusive of Hampton-Wick, £25, 037. Pop., exc. of H. W., in 1851, 3, 134; in 1861, 3, 361. Houses, 592. Pop., inc. of H.W., in 1851, 4, 802; in 1861, 5, 355. Houses, 976. The property is much subdivided. Hampton Court palace is a prominent feature, and will be noticed in the article HAMPTON-COURT. Garrick Villa was built by Garrick; is a handsome edifice, with front by Adams; and contains paintings of Garrick in character by Zoffany. Bushy Park is partly within the limits; and there are many elegant villas. A dilapidated wooden bridge connected Hampton-Court with Moulsey, but was superseded by a new iron bridge in 1864; and a very handsome stone bridge connects Hampton-Wick with Kingston. Extensive works of the Southwark and Vauxhall water companies are above the village, and take supplies of water from the Thames for London. Races are run at Moulsey Hurst in the third week of June. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £356.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a brick edifice, on the site of an ancient church; consists of nave and aisles, with porch and square tower; and contains some handsome monuments and ancient tablets. The p. curacies of Hampton-Wick and New Hampton, and the chapel-royal of Hampton-Court, are separate charges. There are a free grammar school, two national schools, and charities £570.—The sub-district contains also the parish of Teddington. Acres, 4, 310. Pop., 6, 538. Houses, 1, 218.

Hampton through time

Hampton is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hampton, in Richmond upon Thames and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1032

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hampton ".