In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Almondsbury like this:
ALMONDSBURY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Thornbury, Gloucester. The village stands near the rivulet Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, 1¾ mile from the Bristol and South Wales railway, 8 miles N of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. ...
It is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, King Egbert's father, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. The heights above it, and the grounds of Knole House, adjacent on the SW, command a very noble and extensive view, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the hills of Monmouth and Wales.The parish includes the tythings of Almondsbury, Lea, Over, Gaunts-Earthcote. Lower Tockington, and Hempton and Patchway. Acres, 6,927. Real property, £15,078. Pop., 1,864. Houses, 394. The property is much subdivided. Some lands belonged anciently to the priory of St. Augustine in Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £915. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is cruciform and early English, with tower and spire at the intersection. There are a neat little chapel of ease at Cross Keys, two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £255.-The sub district comprises six parishes-Acres, 23,087 Pop., 5,233. Houses, 1,084.
Almondsbury is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Almondsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Almondsbury in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Almondsbury ".