Place:


Alderton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alderton like this:

ALDERTON, a parish in Winchcombe district, Gloucester; 5 miles ESE of Ashchurch r. station, and 9 NNE of Cheltenham. It has a post office under Cheltenham; and contains the hamlet of Dixton. Acres, 1,750. Real property, £2,067. Pop., 487. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. Here are remains of a Saxon camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450.* Patron, the Rev.Covey. The church is good. Charities, £20.

Alderton through time

Alderton is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alderton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alderton, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10313

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alderton ".