Place:


Adlestrop  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adlestrop like this:

ADDLESTROP, a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; on the river Evenlode, 3½ miles ENE of Stow-on-the-Wold. It has a station, with Stow-Road, on the West Midland railway. Post Town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,285. Real property, £1,913. Pop., 184. ...


Houses, 42. The manor belonged to the Abbey of Evesham, passed at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Leigh, and is now the property of Lord Leigh. Addlestrop House, the seat of his lordship, is a large and interesting mansion, partly of considerable antiquity, amid beautiful grounds laid out by Adey Repton. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Broadwell, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1764, and is in good condition.

Adlestrop through time

Adlestrop is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adlestrop itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adlestrop, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10310

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adlestrop ".