In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cardigan like this:
Cardigan, mun. bor., par., and co. town of Cardiganshire, on river Teifi, 3 miles from its mouth, and 8 miles N. of Crymmych Arms ry. sta.-- par. (St Mary), 2517 ac., pop. 2727; bor. (extending into St Dogmell's par., Pembrokeshire), pop. 3669; 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Cardigan has brick, tile, and agricultural implement works. The salmon fishery is important. The exports are grain, slates, and bricks. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) There are some ruins of a castle, built in 1090. Cardigan united with Aberystwith, Lampeter, and Adpar in returning 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cardigan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cardigan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardigan, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cardigan".