Place:


Acton Turville  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acton Turville like this:

ACTON-TURVILLE, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; near the Fosse way and under the Cotswold hills, 5½ miles E by S of Chipping-Sodbury, and 7½ E of Yate r. station. Post Town, Chipping-Sodbury. Acres, 1,009. Real property, £1,424. Pop., 310. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Tormarton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English, restored and enlarged. There are a Baptist chapel and a free school of 1862.

Acton Turville through time

Acton Turville is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acton Turville itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acton Turville in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10309

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acton Turville ".