Place:


Iron Acton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Iron Acton like this:

IRON-ACTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile NW of Yate r. station, and 3½ NW by W of Chipping-Sodbury; and has a post office under Bristol, and fairs on 25 April and 13 Sept. The parish contains also the hamlets of Latteridge and Acton-Ilgar. ...


Acres, 2, 927. Real property, £6, 335. Pop., 1, 234. Houses, 303. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Walter Long, Esq. Coal, limestone, and iron ore occur; and the last was, at one time, so largely dug and smelted as to give rise to the prefix Iron in the name of the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £714.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is later English, in fair condition; has a lofty tower; and contains a handsome monument to Robert Poyntz. Remains of an ancient cross, very fine but much disfigured, are in the churchyard. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £10.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 11, 396. Pop., 5, 252. Houses, 1, 142.

Iron Acton through time

Iron Acton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Iron Acton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Iron Acton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10308

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Iron Acton ".