Place:


Wroxton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wroxton like this:

WROXTON, a parish, with Balscott chapelry, in Banbury district, Oxford; 3¾ miles WNW of Banbury r. station. It has a post-office under Banbury. Acres, 2,350. Real property, £5,643. Pop., 751. Houses, 171. W. Abbey is the seat of Col. North; was built in 1618 by Sir W. Pope; occupies the site of an Augustinian priory, founded in the time of Henry III. ...


by M. Belet, and given at the dissolution to Sir T. Pope; retains some arches and other parts of the ancient priory; presents the appearance of a fine Tudor manor-house : and contains a valuable collection of family portraits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value £137. Patron, Col. North. The church is later English. There are a chapel of ease in Balscott, Independent and Wesleyan chapels, two national schools, and charities £33.

Wroxton through time

Wroxton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wroxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wroxton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10286

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wroxton ".