Place:


Whitchurch  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitchurch like this:

WHITCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in the district of Bradfield, and partly in Berks, but chiefly in Oxfordshire; on the river Thames, near Pangbourn r. station, and 6 miles WNW of Reading. It has a post-office under Reading. Acres, 2,070. Real property, £3,973. Pop., 857. Houses, 176. ...


The manor, with Combe Lodge, belongs to S. W. Gardiner, Esq. Swanston House is the seat of A.Forbes, Esq.; Thames Bank House, of J. Willan, Esq.; and Uplands, of W. B. Wood, Esq. A bridge, rebuilt in 1853, gives communication across the Thames with Pangbourn. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £500.* Patron, the Bishop of O. The church was restored and enlarged in 1858. There are a free school, and charities £27.

Whitchurch through time

Whitchurch is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitchurch in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10269

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitchurch ".