Place:


Donington  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Donington like this:

DONINGTON, a parish in Shiffnall district, Salop; on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway, contiguous to Boscobel and Royal Oak, 1 mile NW of Albrighton r. station, and 4½ SE by E of Shiffnall. Post town, Albrighton, under Wolverhampton. Acres, 2, 641. Real property, £6, 128; of which £150 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 456. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. Tonge Castle, Kilsall, and Dodington Hall are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £673.* Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is old but good, and has a fine tower.

Donington through time

Donington is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Donington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Donington, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10259

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Donington ".