Place:


Watlington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watlington like this:

WATLINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Henley district, Oxford. The town stands at the foot of the Chiltern hills, 8 miles NE of Wallingford r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Watelintone; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Tetsworth, a good inn, a police station of 1860, a town hall of 1644, a-lecture-hall, an ancient church, two dissenting chapels, an endowed school, charities £102, two breweries, and two annual fairs. ...


The parish includes three liberties, and comprises 3,440 acres. Real property, £6,062. Pop., 1,938. Houses, 418. The manors belong to T. S. Carter, Esq., and the Rev. W. P. Hutton; and W. Park is Mr. Carter's seat. A moated castle of 1338 was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £240.* Patron, T. S. Carter, Esq.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 20,313. Pop., 4,409. Houses, 913.

Watlington through time

Watlington is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Watlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watlington in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10257

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Watlington ".