In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Surbiton like this:
SURBITON, a chapelry in Kingston-upon-Thames parish, Surrey; on the Southwestern railway, in the southern outskirts of Kingston. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a post-office‡ under Kingston-upon-Thames, and a r. station with telegraph. Rated property, £21,000. Pop., 4,691. Houses, 726. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150. Patrons, the Contts Family. The church was built in 1845; and is in the later English style, with tower and spire. An Independent chapel was built in 1866; and a Wesleyan chapel, used also as a temperance hall, was built in 1861. There are also a Roman Catholic chapel, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Surbiton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kingston upon Thames. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Surbiton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Surbiton, in Kingston upon Thames and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Surbiton".