Place:


Foulridge  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foulridge like this:

FOULRIDGE, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds canal and the Colne and Skipton railway, 2 miles N of Colne. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Colne. Acres, 2, 450. Real property, £4, 498; of which £70 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 233; in 1861, 988. Houses, 203. The decrease of pop. arose from the discontinuance of handloom weaving. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Foulridge through time

Foulridge is now part of Pendle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pendle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Foulridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foulridge, in Pendle and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10236

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Foulridge ".