Place:


Skipton  West Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Skipton like this:

Skipton (or Skipton in Craven), market town, par., and township with ry. sta., N. div. West-Riding Yorkshire, near river Aire, 9 miles NW. of Keighley and 26 NW. of Leeds - par., 30,120 ac., pop. 11,760; town and township, 4245 ac., pop. 9091; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. ...


Skipton is generally regarded as the capital of the Craven district. It has mfrs. of cotton and woollen goods, a brewery, a considerable market for corn and cattle, and a large general trade, which is much facilitated by the important railway position of the town and by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Skipton Castle (11th century), the ancient seat of the Cliffords, is now the residence of Lord Hothfield, their descendant. Among the other features of the town are the old parish church, the grammar school, and the Craven Baths. Limestone is extensively quarried in the neighbourhood. The Vale of Skipton is of great beauty, and contains excellent meadow-land.

Skipton through time

Skipton is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skipton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skipton, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1022

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skipton ".