Place:


Clunbury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clunbury like this:

CLUNBURY, a township and a parish in Clun district, Salop. The township lies on the river Clun, 2¾ miles NW of Broom and Aston r. station, and 4½ E of Clun. Pop., 258. The parish contains also the townships of Causton, Clunton, Kempton, Obley, and Purslow; and its post town is Aston-on-Clun. ...


Acres, 5, 404. Real property, £9, 987. Pop., 1, 029. Houses, 213. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £120.* Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is ancient and tolerable. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and charities £8.

Clunbury through time

Clunbury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clunbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clunbury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10210

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clunbury ".