In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Everton like this:
EVERTON, a suburban township, seven chapelries, and a sub-district, in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, West Derby district, Lancashire. The township is suburban to Liverpool; lies within Liverpool borough, on the NE side of the town, contiguous to Kirkdale; and has a post office‡ under Liverpool, 1½ mile distant from the Liverpool head-office. It had a village older than Liverpool, situated on an eminence, commanding an extensive view over the Mersey to Wales and the Irish channel; but it takes its present character from the growth and prosperity of Liverpool; has long been a favourite residence of many merchants; and comprises numerous airy streets and numerous elegant villas. ...
It contains the cottage occupied by Prince Rupert in 1644; a mansion, called St. Domingo, built with money accruing from a French prize ship; the workhouse of West Derby district; the Liverpol hospital for infections diseases, about to be rebuilt in 186 9; the Liverpool collegiate institution; several national or other public schools; a public cemetery, formed in 1825; St. George's church, built in 1814, at a cost of £12, 000; four churches built between 1829 and 1857; St. Saviour's church, in the Lombardic style, at a cost of £5, 400, built in 1866; Emmanuel church, of very costly character, built in 1867; two Scotch Presbyterian chapels, built in 1863 and 1866; several English dissenting chapels; and a Roman Catholic church, designated St. Edward's college church, built in 1859 to the extent of three eastern chapels, measuring internally 280 feet in length, possessing fine features of the mediæval style of architecture, and designed as part of an intended cathedral. Acres of the township, 700. Real property, £162, 758; of which £742 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 25, 883; in 1861, 54, 848. Houses, 9, 288. -The chapelries are St. George, St. Augustine, St. Chrysostom, St. Peter, Christchurch, St. Saviour, and Emmanuel. The living of St. Chrysostom is a vicarage, and the other livings are p. curacies, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. George and St. Augustine, each £300; of St. Chrysostom, £400; of the others, not reported. Patron of Christchurch, T. B. Horsfall, Esq.; of Emmanuel, I - D. Anderson, Esq.; of St. Peter, not reported; of the others, Trustees. -The sub-district includes also the township of Kirkdale. Acres, 1,832. Pop., 70, 983. Houses, 11, 830.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Everton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Liverpool. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Everton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Everton, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Everton".