Place:


Egton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egton like this:

EGTON-WITH-NEWLAND, a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish, Lancashire; on the estuary of the Leven, and on the Ulverston and Lancaster railway, 1½ mile SW by S of Cark and Cartmel r. station, and 3 N of Ulverston. Post town, Cark, under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 3, 390. Real property, £5, 502; of which £66 are in ironworks. Pop., 1, 231. Houses, 236. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £161. Patron, J. P. Machell, Esq. The church is modern.

The location is that of St. Mary's church. The name Egton has not been found on an Ordnance Survey map other than as part of the name of the township, "Egton with Newland". The Victoria County History comments: "Newland is the southern and larger part, Egton the northern, having a small outlying piece in Lowick. The respective areas are 2,136 and 1,524½ acres, or 3,660½ in all. ... There is no hamlet called Egton, the chief clusters of dwellings in this division being Penny Bridge and Spark Bridge, situated a mile apart on the banks of the Crake." (A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8 (1914), pp. 358-360; http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53330, accessed 12 September 2012).

Egton through time

Egton is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egton, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10198

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egton ".