Place:


Chetton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chetton like this:

CHETTON, a parish in Bridgnorth and Cleobury-Mortimer districts, and a sub-district in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The parish lies on an affluent of the Severn, 4 miles SW of Bridgnorth r. station; and is chiefly in Bridgnorth district, but includes Loughton chapelry in Cleobury-Mortimer district. ...


Post town, Bridgnorth. Acres, 4, 936. Real property, £6, 992. Pop., 590. Houses, 120. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Godiva. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Loughton, and with the rectories of Deuxhill and Glazeley, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £772.* Patron, T. W. W. Browne, Esq. The church is partly Norman. Charities, £14. -The sub-district contains sixteen parishes, the main part of Chetton parish, and part of another. Acres, 38, 589. Pop., 4, 725. Houses, 952.

Chetton through time

Chetton is now part of Bridgnorth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgnorth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chetton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chetton, in Bridgnorth and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10194

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chetton ".