Place:


Caynham  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Caynham like this:

CAINHAM, a parish and a subdistrict in Ludlow district, Salop. The parish lies on an affluent of the river Teme, near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Ludlow. It includes the township of Bennets-End; and its Post Town is Ludlow. Acres, 2,529. Real property, £3,635. ...


Pop., 755. Houses, 161. Cainham Court is the seat of the Calcots. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £338.* Patron,K. Mainwaring, Esq. The p. curacy of Knowbury is a separate benefice. The subdistrict contains six parishes. Acres, 12,195. Pop., 2,227. Houses, 452.

Caynham through time

Caynham is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Caynham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caynham in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10191

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Caynham ".