Place:


South Stoke  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Stoke like this:

STOKE (South), a parish, with a village, and with Woodcot liberty, in the district of Wallingford and county of Oxford; on the river Thames and the Great Western railway, near Moulsford r. station, and 4 miles S of Wallingford. It has a post-office under Wallingford. Acres, 3,440. Real property, £4,432. ...


Pop., 810. Houses, 181. The limits include part of the Chiltern hills. The living is a vicarage, with Woodcot chapelry, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £350.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The parochial church was restored in 1856; and Woodcot church was rebuilt in 1845. There are two endowed schools, and charities £13.

South Stoke through time

South Stoke is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Stoke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Stoke in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10185

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Stoke ".