Place:


Shipton on Cherwell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipton on Cherwell like this:

SHIPTON-UPON-CHERWELL, a. parish in Woodstock district, Oxford; on the Oxford and Birmingham railway, 2½ miles E by S of Woodstock. Post town, Kidlington, under Oxford. Acres, 1,220. Real property, £1,022. Pop., 131. Houses, 25. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £310.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church is later English. There is a national school.

Shipton on Cherwell through time

Shipton on Cherwell is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipton on Cherwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipton on Cherwell, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10168

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipton on Cherwell ".