Place:


Shifford  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shifford like this:

SHIFFORD, a chapelry in Bampton parish, Oxford; on the river Thames, 5¼ miles SSE of Witney r. station. Post town, Bampton, under Faringdon. Acres, 880. Real property, £1,070. Pop., 41. Houses, 8. A great council was held here by Alfred. The living is annexed to Bampton.

Shifford through time

Shifford is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shifford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shifford in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10165

Date accessed: 21st August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shifford ".