Place:


Wolverley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wolverley like this:

WOLVERLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Kidderminster district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 miles N by W of Kidderminster r. station; and has a post-office under Kidderminster, and a police station. The parish includes Cookley village and several hamlets, and comprises 5,532 acres. ...


Real property, £13,267. Pop. in 1851, 2,441; in 1861, 2,905. Houses, 608. The increase of pop. arose from extension of iron manufacture. The property is subdivided. There are several good residences. A pillar, in memory of the famous Richard Baxter, has been erected on Blake shall Common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of W. The church is modern. The vicarage of Cookley is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed grammar-school with £633 a year, and charities £27.—The sub-district contains 3 parishes. Acres, 7,172. Pop., 3,204. Houses, 666.

Wolverley through time

Wolverley is now part of Wyre Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wolverley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wolverley, in Wyre Forest and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10155

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wolverley ".