In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eccleston like this:
ECCLESTON, a township and two chapelries in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies nominally ¾ of a mile NNE of Prescot; but it includes parts of both Prescot and St. Helens towns; and it shares the railway and postal facilities of both. Acres, 3, 387. Real property, £36, 478; of which £4, 206 are in mines, £264 in quarries, and £466 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 8, 509; in 1861, 11, 640. Houses, 2, 045. Pop. of the part in Prescot town, 930; of the part in St. ...
Helens town, 8, 012-Crown-glass and earthenware have been extensively manufactured. The chapelries are Christ Church and St. Thomas; the former connected with Prescot town, the latter with St. Helens. Christ Church was constituted in 1838; St. Thomas, in 1839. Pop. of the former, 2, 328; of the latter, 8, 206. The living ofis a pcuracy, that of St. T. a vicarage, in the dio. of Chester. Value ofC., £110; * of St. T., £300.* Patron of the former, S. Taylor, Esq; of the latter, Trustees. One of the churches is a modern edifice, with a spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eccleston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Helens. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eccleston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eccleston, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eccleston".